Tuesday, January 6, 2015

The Light By: Amanda K. Dudley-Penn

I stand among the dark of the world
And wonder where the light has gone.
I whisper a prayer of sadness
And try to find the sun.
I wonder when tomorrow reigns
Who will be the lead.
The ones who tell the pretty lies
Or the ones who help you and me.
I feel my heart break in sadness
As I see this world’s sins.
I wonder when the pain will diminish
When the bias will end.
I see history repeating
And the consequences of those mistakes.
I hear the lies within voices
And the petty promises of the fakes.
I feel the thunder and the fear
Of generations who will follow.
The stolen dreams and the stolen lives
That will be their sorrow.
Still, I stand in this world
Where hate has been allowed to breed.
I wonder and I hope
That the light didn’t really leave.
I cry in despair
As I search for those not blind.
I hope someone takes my hand
And stands by my side. 
I wish for comfort
As the world begins petty fights.
I search for the hope.
I am desperate for the light.
I stand with my head bowed
Waiting for people to see.
I wipe a tear from my eye
As I realize that the light is in you and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment