Saturday, March 9, 2019

Stronger Than This



A false smile to calm you
but my mind is a raging storm.
A crack in the surface of my soul
But trying to keep you from harm.
Jaded from the memories
That pierce my tortured mind.
Sometimes I wonder if they see through me
Or if it's more comfortable to be blind.
A chin raised in defiance
My rebellious nature is what helps me through.
A shattered mess on the inside. 
I don't want them to see me as weak too.
Another step, Another day
Of protecting those my heart holds.
I don't want to be like him
Another tragic tale to behold.
So I take another breath for them
Because I don't want them to feel my pain.
I shudder alone in the darkness
With only words on paper to keep me sane.
Tears where no one can see them
Gritted teeth in my sleep.
Reliving memories of tortured souls
Who put more torture on me.
But I'm supposed to forget it all
So you don't hold your head in shame.
An embarrassment for other's faults
The only one to shoulder the blame.
But the past always haunts you
Even when you want to push it away.
Popping up in fractured dreams
And sometimes in the light of day.
I have to remember to stay silent.
It always hurts when I speak.
I have to remember to stand tall
And take all the misery on me.
Nothing is ever done 
But let them think it's okay.
If I pretend to ignore it
At least for them, it will go away.
Then, at least the pain will ebb
And they will live in perfect bliss.
I take a breath, put on a mask
And decide to be stronger than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment